Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Reverend Sam Whitley


According to our Director of Christian Education, John-Mark, (and to our great surprise) Sam might have a calling to the ministry! Last Wednesday at church Sam was hanging out with the teenagers, who were having a youth group gathering in the sanctuary. I'm sure he was bored when, all of a sudden, he stood up, walked onto the alter and commanded the group...“Yall are the people.” Then, he said, “The Lord be with you.” Naturally, all the teenagers responded, “And also with you.” Sam then said, “Now, let’s pray.” He went on to recite (his version of) the Lord’s Prayer…. “Our Father, who heart in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, I will be done, on earth as it is in heaven….”
You can only imagine how proud (and hysterical) I was when I heard all this. God bless Sam!

He's obviously a good listener in church. Which reminds me of a time, about a year ago, when we started bringing Sam into "big" church with us. He was playing with the things we'd brought to keep him occupied when, in a voice much too loud for church, he said, "Mommy, why they always talkin' 'bout Jesus?" At least he was listening!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

ha!ha!ha! I am laughing so hard and I absolutely adore this story! That is great!

Garrisons said...

This is hilarious - and it looks like he's preaching an outdoor revival standing on that stump!

Lauren and Bret said...

HaHa! I love it!