Sunday, May 31, 2009

Memorial Day weekend








We went to the lake to spend the long Memorial Day weekend. We had lots of fun, family time, good meals around the big front porch table, fishing, playing in the water; boat rides…all the usual stuff. But, the best memory is of Sam’s grasp of what Memorial Day is all about. On Sunday around lunch time Sam asked me, “Is tomorrow a school day?” I explained that not only was it not a school day but that it was Memorial Day holiday and that we have this holiday to remember the soldiers that have fought in wars and died protecting us and our country. Later, at suppertime, Sam, Brian and several others were at the table when Brian called for me to come to the porch. He said, “You’re not going to believe this.” Brian said that Sam had just asked him, “Daddy, do soldiers have phone numbers?” (I knew where this was going based on our earlier conversation.) Brian, curious as to why Sam would ask that so “out of the blue”, said, “Well, yeah they do, son. Why?” Sam responded, “Because I want to call them and tell them thank you.” I’m so glad that I got the message across to Sam but even more proud that he continued to think about it and wanted to tell a soldier thank you. So, THANK YOU to all the soldiers, especially Mr. Mike!










3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Let me get this straight...you call me red for having my baby in a diaper on the beach?!?! Well, what would you be classified as for having Brice wearing nothing but a life jacket in the lake?!?!

Beth said...

Cute story about Sam!!!!! <3 it!!!!

Steph said...

Oh my gosh...I have a few tears after reading about Sam!!

Cute fun pictures by the way! Gotta love that family time & all those kiddos!