Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Aunt Ellen...

Shortly after Sam was born my Aunt Ellen came to visit and meet the new baby.  She brought me this little vase - a Mommy Pot - and told me that it was for the little flower that your dirty-handed child will bring you one day.  Well, that day happened this past Sunday when Sam, who'd been playing outside with Brian, came through the screened door with this little flower.  He proudly said, "Here Mommy!  I picked you a flower."  It was such a precious moment and one that I know my Aunt Ellen envisioned when she gave me the Mommy Pot.  

I wish I could tell her of that moment but Ellen passed away just a few months later.  She died of Inflammatory Breast Cancer.  If you are reading this and you don't do monthly self breast exams, or get mammograms or know a woman who doesn't - PLEASE change that habit today!  Please tell all the women in your life to take care of themselves and their breast health.  One day at a time, one woman at a time - we can eradicate breast cancer!  Visit these sites for more information:

www.komen.org
www.cancer.gov
www.ibcresearch.org

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

that story brings tears to my eyes for several reasons...one being that sweet Sam bringing you the flower, another knowing that the story would make Ellen smile and yet another losing my aunt to breast cancer as well. I am so proud of us for doing our part with Komen!!!

HJW said...

So sweet...what a special & unexpected gift! I'm going to remember the "mommy pot." I know it melted your heart receiving the flower, too!